permaculture - [permaculture] 9-day PDC???

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "steveread" <steveread@free.fr>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] 9-day PDC???
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 11:05:46 +0200

Hello, Thomas Allen,

We been addresssing this issue in France. So we have created the Université
Populaire de Permaculture one of whose remits is to maintain standards in
Permaculture training. Not just PdC's but also the Diploma. I have had
situations in the past where I have refused a diploma, because for me they
didn't meet the requisite standard, only to see them awarded a diploma by
another instituion in another country, without having changed their
work/presentation.

So, the PDC and its standard, I believe its generally accepted that after
gaining the certificate you can lead intro courses, participate at the
conference part of International and continental PmC convergences, do
designs. So basically we're not giving huge "rights" to people because they
doen a PdC. This is not the case with the Diploma, there is a tradition that
2+ existing diploma holders can accredit someone to diploma. So by awarding
the latter we are giving the "right" to accredit to Diploma, this corresponds
a bit to 3rd dan in the Japanese tradition after which people can grade
someone to 1st Dan, hence the big difference/leap between 2nd and 3rd dan
(normally).

So PdC is 72 hours minimum of mix theory/practice based on the designers
manual. Obviously this is insufficient time to cover in depth any particular
aspect, how could this be otherwise? The smallest aspect touching soils could
be and often is the basis for a PhD. To keep rpeating the insufficiency of
time is to repeat the obvious, But as I've pointed out and for us a PdC is
merely the 1st step. Some will carry on their lives using PmC around the
house/business, others will take it, set up projects, build create, others
will want to create and teach and be "professional designers", the Diploma
route is there for them, 2 years minimum witrh the presentation of a
Masterpiece at the end that demonstrates thier capacity to, Teach a full
design course, to design at a high level, a wide grasp of all the different
aspects of PmC design, that they have made PmC design "theirs".

So here with UPP we insist that a PdC covers all aspects set out in the 1986
syllabus, filled out by the designers manual, that there is equal emphasis
over all aspects of the syllabus. I need to pause here 'cause this is a
problem; there are people who teach PdC's and gloss over the whole aspect of
community design, economics, invisible structures etc, basically chapter 14
onwards of the Manual, this for us is completely unacceptable and reinforces
the idea that PmC is some sort of gardening. Permanent publications brought
out "The Earthcare Manual", apart from a few pages on building design its all
about applying PmC to gardening, despite the front page sub-title "A
permaculture handbook........." This kind of thing isn't helping. Left to
itself the planet and its systems will simply continue and create abundance,
its people who are messing it up with our systems. Whoops, bit of a rant
there. I would expect someone returning home after doing a PdC with me to be
able to do a PmC design, they will have to research, deepen and widen their
knowledge base, evolve. They would be able to set up a w/end intro course and
explain PmC to a general public. They would have some idea of the PmC
invisible structures/routes that are already in place, for eg the Diploma.
I also base the awarding of a course completion certficate for the PdC on the
basis of the quality/depth of the big design projects done during the course.

We need to have some sort of International agreement on standards maybe, or
maybe simply a blacklist or a whitelist, perhaps we could all train up some
Buddhist monks (or other who should be uncorruptable and free!!) to wander
around participating at PdC's to give positive feedback?

Then I believe it is for each culture to adopt the best of its existing
systems to facilitate peoples PmC education. Here in France this is the
traditions of Université Populaire and Les Compagnons de Devoir. Each cultur
will hold its own records of Diplomas and hopefully present these people on
the Chaordic institute website. Currentlly and historically I have found it
extremely difficult to communicate with the different continanetal and
international insititutions.

SteveR