permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 9-day PDC???

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L. Santoyo" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: tomward@mind.net, J Hobbs <hobbsj@efn.org>, Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>, Permaculture <permaculture@openpermaculture.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 9-day PDC???
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 08:35:29 -0700

The full curriculum is covered in 72 hrs of lecture in Claudia's course
-this should be enough time and will satisfy the agreement to adhere to the
curriculum as prescribed by the Permaculure Designers Manual and required by
The Permaculture Institute (USA).

There are other courses that, as Claudia suggests, are designed to fit the
pattern of the participants, that are "weekend series" formats and various
permutations there of. As long as the teachers are experienced enough to
handle the varied effects and adhere to the agreement -they should be able
to create a pattern literate and appropriate environment for teaching.

(earthflow design works will be adding a 16 hour "lab" portion to our
curriculum requirements and offer a three-week design course in both
three-week blocks and in three one week blocks.)

Currently there is a widely advertised course on the web that tout a "9 day
certificate" program. Upon examination -they do, in fact, require a
significant amount of prerequisite work and web based learning and have a
highly accomplished teaching team -and are approved by the Permaculture
Research Institute (australia).

On a related note: The Permaculture Institute (USA) -(Bill Mollison and
Scott Pittman, founders) has adopted these standards to not only ensure
continuity but integrity of the course material. The Institute has further
defined and has created designation to the two-year diploma standards as
described by Bill Mollison -to include *Permaculture Design Course
Instructor Certification*... -see informal description below -feel free to
contact me for and questions, comments or conserns.

Larry

L.Santoyo, Field Director & VP
The Permaculture Institute

<http://www.permaculture-exchange.org>