permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 9-day PDC???

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: tom <tom@honeychrome.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 9-day PDC???
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 10:00:43 -0400

The slip of paper I got says "This certifies that ______ has successfully completed a permaculture consultant's design course." Personally I don't think completing the course certifies me for anything other than applying permaculture principles to my own life (and I'd be doing that certified or not), though I will talk about permaculture with anyone I come across who cares to listen. Maybe they'll be interested enough to buy me a beer, which I suppose is a violation of the exhortation not to 'hang out a shingle' in an extreme interpretation... or likewise I may have to buy them a beer to keep them listening...

Toby wrote:
"So there's no error in the name or structure of the course, but there is
one in the minds of people who believe that it certifies them as a
designer."

I'd argue that if there is a substantial number of people who have this misconception (and it seems there is) the source of the misconception is not entirely in their minds. If they are shelling out money and signing up for a PDC with this misconception there is something in the name or the course description that is unclear enough to invite the misconception.

Toby wrote:
"BTW, I can think of lots of less-than-72 hour courses that result in
certification: equipment operators, inspectors of various kinds, master
gardeners, restricted chemical appliers, etc."

I think we'd agree that these examples are not comparable to permaculture design- perhaps with the exception of master gardener, they are are certifications for a single, specific sill, and once certified one can basically go out and get a paying job applying that skill. The issue here is that, no, you shouldn't go out and start collecting money applying your new 'certified' permaculture design skills. Permaculture design is more along the lines of architecture, or ID, or urban planning, or even social science, and there is no 72- hour certification in those fields. Of course permaculture IS different than architecture or ID or urban planning, so I'm not suggesting the learning and certification process should be modeled on the processes used in those fields.

I'm not just being argumentative- from things I've heard and read it seems like there is a possibly growing problem here. To dismiss the problem as a misconception on the part of some people doesn't seem to address it, and as Adam suggested, with permaculture potentially on the verge of going 'mainstream,' now is the time to think and act on it. There is an existing permaculture structure that could be useful here- the system of zones. Perhaps the existing PDC course could be called a Zone 0 PDC course, designating it as an intensive introduction for the individual. Not a radical renaming- a refining or clarifying. Further levels of certification denoting training and experience in broader ranges and elements of design could go on up to zone 5 certification.