permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Lawn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Lawn
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 21:33:27 -0500

The last remnant of my lawn will be gone in the 2nd year of implementation of the permaculture design for my property in central Oklahoma City. There's not much left. One patch was overtaken by sand plums, elderberries, comfrey, apple mint, and some kind of wild onion that found its way here on its own.

I also have a patch of self-seeded tomato plants (there were Amish paste and Principe Borghese there last year), which is much denser than I would ever plant them. They are all growing and are very healthy, though, and in fact seem to be making their own support as they get bigger. So I'm leaving them as an experiment to see what will happen. I had earlier seeded it with some white Dutch clover, and that's looking great.

The Oklahoma drought has definitely been broken this year. Soil moisture and lakes and streams are replenished statewide. All of my perennials and trees are doing better than ever. On Monday I'll harvest my first apricots, well, I've been nibbling them all week but Monday will be the big harvest and apricot jam making day.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City

----- Original Message ----- >> How many people do not have any lawn on their parcel of land? (city
dwellers)