permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Lawn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jody Troupe <jodyt2@mac.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Lawn
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 12:58:18 -0400

I haven't read everything coming through this thread, but I did read the "Lawn care in the
Afterlife", and it really does point out how stupid lawns are.

But, I don't think its entirely fair to bash the lawn-growing people when that is what the
CITIES enforce.

There were several people (when I lived in Madison, WI) who were definitely trying to do their
own thing, completely planted yards - low maintenance plantings, and gardens, no grass at
all - and they were having lawsuits brought against them, city fines, & neighbor pressure because
they felt it 'brought the value of their houses down' by shear proximity to the 'eyesores' .

Rather than aim frustration at those "trying to keep up with the Jones'", it also needs to be
recognized that the cities themselves must lead as an example. So many people are just
followers without their own brains. If the leadership showed them something new to aspire to...
a new, respected urban yard, I'm certain others would follow suit.

Maybe someone needs to hit up the government buildings in their cities, or chat with
commercial zoning committees to see if they'll convert their green spaces to gardens?
Rather than businesses being required to have x-amount of green space or water
features, they must have a certain acreage devoted to plantings, even if just for animals
and not for harvesting.

The Japanese already leave some of their parks 'natural' in some areas.
Even that would be a good first move in a typical American city. Its easy
enough to fix if they hate it - just mow it.

Jody