permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Keyline terracing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "paul wheaton" <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Keyline terracing
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 08:04:26 -0700

They must all be on a slight downhill grade so every terrace feeds the one
below
to provide overflow drainage during heavy rainfall but are dammed enough to
prevent
flooding and complete draining.

Since they are small, I would think that each "pool" is level, but
each has one cutout to handle out flow.

I wonder what might be the highest runoff - and what they do to
prevent erosion at that point (a common problem with ponds)

Here's a good pic of a large terraced region with forests along the slopes
(probably there because some terraces washed away opening up areas for
random tree seedlings to take root).

With all due credit to the photographer owning the PBase gallery this came
from
(which I cannot locate to provide the true URL to the pic).

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pbasephotos/32063358.RicePaddiesSurroundingGitDublingcopy.jpg

The link didn't work for me. ????