permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Keyline Books

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Keyline Books
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 01:08:46 -0400

darren@permaculture.biz wrote:

G'day,

I trust that this greets you and all well.

Thanks Larry. I would suggest that the best book I have read on Keyline
Design was written in 1958 (I think) by Professor J. MacDonald Holmes (then
Dean of Geography Faculty of University of Sydney called "The Geographical
Basis of Keyline". This book is out of print - though it can be found for
download (thank goodness!) at
http://www.yeomansplow.com.au/basis-of-keyline.htm . For the record all of
the other P.A. Yeomans books are available for reading at
www.soilandhealth.org.au . Finally www.keyline.com.au (Ken Yeomans website)
has his book "Water for Every Farm" available in hardcopy or as an E-book.

Thanks much for these links. I will avail myself of the opportunioty to d/l
these works.
I need to see photos and diagrams but am still beginning to get the Keyline
concept.

I used my own Yeomans plow
(http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger2/1972/907063824599259/1600/Yeomans-Plow-2.jpg)
this Spring and did it ever bring up some hefty chunks of hard dirt
to the surface to become homogenized with the upper layers. This is a tillage
tool to use as
frequently as soil conditions permit.

Obvious question: How is Yeomans plowing accomplished on steep slopes along
contours?
Only when therer is enough flat ground for the tractor to traverse safely? Or
are teams of
big draft mountain goats used :-)

LL
--