permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Keyline terracing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "paul wheaton" <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Keyline terracing
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 13:13:46 -0700

> It seems like a warm day would evaporate nearly all of that water.

Its a humid climate and there is a lot of water in containment plus regular
rainfall
of varying intensity will replenish that which evaporated.

Oh! Okay. I was thinking about how this could be a spiffy idea in
lots of places.

> Plus, when there is too much water (hard rain) .... it seems like
> there could be problems with blowouts - especially the lower terraces.

They have been there for thousands of years. I expect they may be made of
dense clay.

Well, I kinda like the idea with permaculture being that you can
pretty much walk away from a system and it just gets better and
better. This one looks like a lot of work ... and ... if one were to
try and use it, it would be good to know how, over thousands of years,
they have mitigated some of the engineering challenges. If I wanna do
that too, how much work am I adopting?

This will be an interesting research project.

And how!