permaculture - Re: [permaculture] National Animal ID program

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] National Animal ID program
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:55:16 -1000

Aloha,

Just wondering - are mass media reports about Mad Cow disease, Avian
Flu, or global warming any different from reports about weapons of
mass destruction in Iraq? How can the average person discern what
threats to society at large are real enough to warrant imposition of
controls on individuals, businesses, or segments of society?

I think what's important here is to recognize that the true "problems" are not being identified, so the "solutions" proposed, whether realistic or draconian, are not likely to work anyhow. They are a distraction regardless of if they're intentional misinformation or hysteria or very real.

What are the real *causes* of mad cow risk increase, what really increases the risk of avian flu among domestic poultry, etc. etc.?

Could it have something to do with how we house, raise, feed, slaughter etc. these animals using mass-monoculture/industrial models (for just one example)?

Permaculture teaches us to look at larger systems; to look at connections and relations; to not be blinded by a single and/or overly simplistic view of "problems" and "solutions."

hi ho,
John S.

- Eco-Living -
Whole Systems Design Services