permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Greening Earth Society

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kirby Fry" <peace@totalaccess.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Greening Earth Society
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 08:12:55 -0600

Wow Mish,

That's a lot to take in. I like the Carbon tax approach.

ALCOA's Rockdale, TX smelter is just a few miles from us. It's the single
most air polluting plant in Texas, built in '53 and grandfathered since the
Clean Air Act passed. Now the city of San Antonio is giving them 16,000
acres of land to strip mine for lignite and in exchange ALCOA gives them all
of the water they pump from the Carizo-Wilcox Aquifer in order to
depressurize the water table.

Every state and federal agency has backed away from their proclaimed
regulatory role and rubber stamped one permit and waver after another. The
saddest part of the story is that, ALCOA's employees are basically being
poisoned and held hostage - accept our working conditions or lose your
livelihood. ALCOA actually busses their employees into the public hearings
regarding the new surface mine, pays them for their time at the hearings and
has them brainwashed that there is no other way to run the plant except
under present conditions.

I would like to open a serious can of "whip ass" on these power mongers and
slap a Carbon tax on them. I'm calling the president of the United States,
he'll help won't he? Oops, I forgot he's in their pocket too. Drat...

Thanks Mish, I really appreciate your angle on all this.

Kirby Fry

For the real scoop on environmental and social justice issues check out the
archives of Democracy Now!
http://www.webactive.com/webactive/pacifica/demnow/archive.html