permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Large-scale wormeries

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Osmond <s9900761@pop3.unsw.edu.au>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Large-scale wormeries
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 20:28:17 +1000

Hi Ute,

The contact Russ is referring to is the Recycled Organics Unit (ROU) at the
University of New South Wales, part of the UNSW Environment Management
Program.

The "device" Russ mentions is actually a vertical composting unit,
manufactured by
Willson Brown of New Zealand. It has nothing to do with worms, decomposition
is
microbial - the temperature in the top third of the unit gets to 80 degrees
plus
(centigrade). However, it is an suitable means for composting food and garden
organics in some specific situations.

The University's Grounds Department is responsible for the UNSW composting
facility
(which includes other technologies besides the vertical composter). The ROU
provides
technical advice when required, but does not manage the facility - its main
involvement is in recycled organics research and development, information
collection/dissemination, training and education. From that angle, you might
find
the ROU website of interest: www.recycled organics.com.

Cheers,
Paul Osmond (UNSW)