permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Large-scale wormeries

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Diver <steved@ncatark.uark.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Large-scale wormeries
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 10:54:55 -0500

Rhonda Sherman-Huntoon's site at NCSU is notable
for its summary of large-scale vermicomposting operations:

NCSU + Rhonda L. Sherman-Huntoon: Compost Resources
http://www5.bae.ncsu.edu/people/faculty/sherman/

Snapshots of Selected Large-Scale Vermicomposting Operations
http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/people/faculty/sherman/vermiculture/snapshot.htm

Worm Digest, the quarterly magazine, is the prominent print source
http://www.wormdigest.org/

Worm Digest | Articles
http://www.wormdigest.org/articles.html

Worm Digest | Worm Growers Links
http://www.wormdigest.org/article_122.html

Several methods and systems are used, large-scale:
*industrial scale bins
*benches with screens on the bottom
*outdoor windrow systems

The Vermillennium conference held in Kalamazoo, MI
was a significant event. Issue #26 of Worm Digest,
December 2000, reviewed the presentations and activities.

Yelm worm farm in Washington is a notable large-scale
vermicomposting site. The KISS plan it published is worth
pointing to.

KISS Plan for vermicomposting on a modern dairy or horse farm
http://www.yelmworms.com/kissplan.htm

Pre-consumer food scraps from food prepration are one thing,
post-consumer food scraps are another.

Pathogen reduction enters the picture with post-consumer. It
is something to be aware of. Some folks will want you to put
that through a thermophyllic process; a large-scale windrow system
that is turned regularly to reach a steady high temperature for
a length of time.

EM Bokashi is a microbial tool I quickly add to the situation
when you are talking about food scraps. It can improve your
food collection and storage situation through reduction of
odors and flies and on-site storagability prior to further
thermophllic composting, worm composting, etc.

Regards,
Steve Diver