permaculture - Re: cultural myths and misery

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: cultural myths and misery
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 01:03:49 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

>> In reponse to the first sentence, I do believe we can determine who
> has a
> better life, but only if we make our inquiry more specific than you
> propose:
>
> i.e.
> * how many individuals, on their deathbeds, would report feeling
> satisfied
> with their lives?

Good question! Was the joining-of-battle cry "this is a good day to
die!" an expression of cultural conformity, or of a radically different
take on life and death as parts of a whole, or of life richly lived in
the moment in pursuit of one's passionate beliefs, or...?

> * standard of living in the conventional sense used by the UN to rate
> countries

Oooh, don't get me started ;-)... the UN uses "ability to buy basic
goods and services" as a fundamental "quality of life indicator" - that
is, if you can "consume" basic goods and services in a cash (including
a debit) economy, you have a higher quality of life than if you provide
them for yourself/your community locally and sustainably (the latter
doesn't "count" for much in the UN's little worldview.

> * rates of crime, poverty, starvation, war and insurrection, petty
> violence, birth and death

We're hurtin' on a number of these right here in the USA, at least
compared to most other "first world" nations.

=====
John Schinnerer, MA