permaculture - Re: cultural myths and misery

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "S. K. Harrison" <skh23ca@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: cultural myths and misery
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 18:21:26 -0500

Brent Ladd wrote:

> I don't think there is a solution to this argument of "who has it
> better". Perhaps the treasure that is found in this way of life, and
> explored in these books, is that it lends a deeper understanding of the
> cycles of life and of Mother Earth than any other way of life possibly
> could.

In reponse to the first sentence, I do believe we can determine who has a
better life, but only if we make our inquiry more specific than you
propose:

i.e.
* how many individuals, on their deathbeds, would report feeling satisfied
with their lives?
* standard of living in the conventional sense used by the UN to rate
countries
* rates of crime, poverty, starvation, war and insurrection, petty
violence, birth and death
* etc.

But I believe I see what you are saying, Brent, insofar as some axes
cannot be quantified, such as the ethical and aesthetic sensibilities of
individuals toward a particular way of life--to which you alluded, in
part.