permaculture - RE: Pressure Treated

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charland, Stacy (NIGMS)" <CHARLANS@nigms.nih.gov>
  • To: "'gardenbetty@earthlink.net'" <gardenbetty@earthlink.net>, permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Pressure Treated
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 17:06:20 -0400

The Organic Gardening article is what got me concerned about not using the CCA
treated posts, but that seems to be all that is (easily) available. I've
gotten
some leads on possible sources of non-treated posts in my area, so I hope that
will work for the short term.

I had already been thinking about planting locust among my fruit trees for
nitrogen fixing abilities and animal forage (pods) - does anyone know if
black &
honey are both good for posts? Do they both provide pods for animal forgage?
I've heard that locust can become rampant, so I was inclined to use a
thornless
honey locust for the orchard.

Stacy Charland
Stacy_Charland@nih.gov