permaculture - Re: Pressure Treated

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kevin Topek <ktopek@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Pressure Treated
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 19:34:32 -0400

Dear Stacy Charland,

Many years ago I did some investigation on pressure treated lumber and I
think I
can remember a few things. One of my friends owned the largest treating
company on
the Texas Coast and we discussed this issue a lot. The Texas Agricultural
Extension
Service also has some input, in favor of treated wood.

Most pressure treated wood is treated with a product called Wolman made
by Dow
Chemical, hence Wolmanized wood. The active ingredients are copper, chromium
and
arsenate, CCA. The wood is actually soaked in the material, I'm not sure
whether or
not there is any pressure applied. The active ingredients do inhibit fungal
and
bacterial degradation. There is some leaching of the CCA into the surrounding
environment, but most of it does remain with the wood. A cotton wipe test will
usually have traces of arsenic, regardless of the age of the treated wood.
Dow has
done extensive research into this issue and has some publications on the
subject.
Dow says there is no significant detrimental environmental effect from treated
lumber. Most recently they have tested CCA leaching into the marine
environment, but
I have not read the results. I highly recommend you ask for their literature
on the
subject.

I stopped using treated lumber about a decade ago, mainly due to the long
term
effects of repeated exposure to arsenic, especially on young children. I have
also
read that there is a presence of CCA in human semen in 80% of the world's
male
population. I can not remember the reference, but that is an astounding
number if
true. Conversely, CCA really prolongs the usable period of wood, up to 50
years, and
can greatly decrease deforestation caused by the harvesting of wood products.

Alternative materials for fence posts are: metal, recycled plastic lumber
and
juniper (called cedar) where readily available. Treated lumber is a double
edged
sword; it prolongs the life of wood, decreasing pressure on shrinking
resources, but
it is treated with a toxic cocktail, that is why it works. I do not think
that the
presence of treated lumber would be an impediment to organic certification.
I am
drawing on misty memories to write this and am prepared to be wrong. There
are other
post materials available, the question is are they available and affordable.

Kevin, doin' the sweet pea frug.