permaculture - Re: Pressure Treated

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: eric + michiko <emstorm@metro.net>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Pressure Treated
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 05:45:57 -0700

I had to put a word in for LIVING FENCES. Of course this is not always the
best solution, but where applicable, I think it should be strongly
considered. It seems possible to have the living structure grow fast
enough so that it is effective by the time your non-pressure treated wood
fence is ready to go. Even if it is not a complete screen of brushy
material, it could at least be well spaced trunks of some useful plants
serving also as fence posts. Again, these could at least be planted next to
each original fence post to take over when the post give out.

I'm also glad to see Jack's mention of growing post trees as part of the
total design. You also need to think about what goes between the posts.
These are good examples of "needs" that should planned for. The goal of
living sustainably recedes further and further unless we can see past
"buying what we need", especially when it can be grown.

Putting in my two cents,

Eric Storm
Sebastopol, CA