permaculture - Re: Propane generators and gardens

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jknapp@pacific.net (John Knapp)
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Propane generators and gardens
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:16:08 -0800

At 4:26 PM 6/24/98, Jack Rowe wrote:
>Propane also produces small amounts of ethylene, CO, CO2, ozone, etc as
>result of improper burning. More important is venting, and some fresh
>air... one volume of propane burns 5 volumes of O2, and therefore 25
>volumes of air are needed (since air is 1/5 O2). Propane should always be
>vented for the health of the occupants, and anyway the water produced by
>burning will condense on windows and mess with sills, etc.
>
>Jack

Thanks Jack. I agree about venting for the health of the occupants. The
building will be vented to the outside and is essentially storage for the
energy related equipment. My question was more to the issue of vented
waste gases having any impact on the surrounding garden. My guess is that
the impact will be minimal. Any other thoughts?

John