percy-l - Re: [percy-l] gay marriage

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karey L. Perkins" <karey AT charter.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] gay marriage
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:53:39 -0400

Title: Message
I don't think any of us has the right to judge another.  How can we truly know and judge the reasons/motivations two individuals love and marry?

A man and a woman can, and often do, marry each other (enter into a heterosexual union) for all sorts of bad reasons -- the man may want a trophy wife (what about sexual appetite and gratification there?), the woman may want a comfy or luxurious high profile lifestyle (or perhaps she just wants to get out of the house), the woman's father could have a shotgun to the man's head (sexual appetite thus being the precursor to this), the man marries the boss's daughter to get ahead in his career (OK, he's not madly in love, but she's nice enough and not too bad looking), the woman marries the man because all her friends and family like him, think he's nice, a good catch, whatever, etc. etc.   Two individuals being of appropriate gender (m/f) hardly ensures admirable and spiritual reasons for entering into wedlock.

Two individuals being of "inappropriate" gender does not define their love  - even eros - for each other is an evil or bad thing.

I think our spirits/souls ultimately transcend gender -- God has no genitals (although we traditionally and misleadingly refer to "Him" as a "He," gender is by definition a physical trait and God is not physical - only Jesus).

I agree with Steve that a case of two men who live together and love each other as friends (i.e.: just roommates) is very different from two gay men who are in love and wish to marry.  A homosexual "marriage" bond has far more in common with a heterosexual marriage than any other relationship between persons of the same gender - or any other present word in our vocabulary we might apply to it.

I don't know what to think about homosexuality, nor do I completely understand why two individuals of the same gender fall "in love" and wish to express that love physically -- but they do, and for them, I believe it is the same experience as two individuals of opposite gender who do the same thing.   Some homosexuals ARE in it merely for physical gratification, just as some heterosexuals have sex merely for physical gratification.  But would anyone say that all heterosexual marriages are just about sexual gratification?  Of course not.  The same is true of homosexual marriages.

The one thing I do know is it's not for me to judge others nor to impose rules on how to conduct their lives -- that's God's domain.  I've got my own stuff to worry about.