percy-l - Re: [percy-l] gay marriage

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: LTberrywtr AT aol.com
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] gay marriage
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:36:09 EDT

Well Jim, your take on Hawkeye and Trapper is a little more nuanced than
mine and Walker's (though we're nearly eye-to-eye on Archie). They (and later
Hawkeye and B.J. Hunnicut) came across to me as irony-free, holier than thou,
spoiled brats. That's why their juvenile anti-authority stance just didn't
work
for me (I take my anti-authority straight up - the Marx Brothers and W.C.
Fields). That's why I had to laugh near the end of "Thanatos" when Walker
gets on
them for just those charges and specifications. Later comments by the actors
who played Trapper and B.J. (and most of the folks in Hollywood on most
issues) would lead me to believe that nuance and irony are not a big part of
their
game. The show wasn't a total loss for me though. Hawkeye et al, could be
funny
chasing nurses and getting swacked on that home brew they made. Klinger
cracked me up. And some of the other characters - Col. Potter and Radar -
were
appealing (I worked in the ship's office of a destroyer with a guy just like
Radar
- except I don't think he had a Teddy bear). And Hot Lips, well (well,
indeed), she was evidence that Frank had at least one oar in the water.
Cordially,
-- Larry