percy-l - Re: [percy-l] gay marriage

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Tim Cole <tcole AT adobe.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] gay marriage
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:21:00 -0700

Title: Re: [percy-l] gay marriage
Walker never bought into the notion that gays were anything other than emotionally disturbed people and to that extent he remained what I would call mildly homophobic to the end.

I’d like very much to hear someone who likes/uses the term ‘homophobic’ to suggest a definition that’s constructive and useful. It seems to me to be a word constructed to muddy semantic waters and caricature those who have moral and teleological objections to homosexual behavior, and not an irrational fear of homosexuals.

I have a long time family friend, a psychologist, who uses the term more liberally than ketchup in his letters to the editor , but won’t define it for me. Drives me batty...