percy-l - Re: [percy-l] gay marriage

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: LTberrywtr AT aol.com
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] gay marriage
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:40:11 EDT

All of Percy's novels, from "Moviegoer" to "Thanatos," mainly feature "the
search." No one I've read is better than WP at asking First Questions, and at
showing how tricky and frail most of our answers to these are (and doing this
in an entertaining way). If my life were on the line, I don't believe I
could
name three writers less "doctrinaire" than WP -- even though he was capable
of coming to certain fairly safe and obvious conclusions, to wit: Trapper
John
and Hawkeye Pearce were arrogant, self-satisfied pricks, and college students
a bad lot (Can anyone really argue with either of these?) But then I freely
admit to being out of step with the 70s, 80s, 90s, and whatever it is you
call
what we're in now.
Cordially,
Larry T.