percy-l - Re: [percy-l] gay marriage

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Joseph Cimino" <evopsych AT hotmail.com>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] gay marriage
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:02:09 -0400

In my dictionary, "marriage" in the example of minds meeting is a seperate definition of the more common defintion, which does in fact necessitate there being a man and a woman, and not two people of the same sex.

Im not sure how much efffect this has on the debate on whether gay marriage should be legalized. I do feel that opponents to gay marriages are using the defintion of "marriage" in defense of their view, but thats not set in stone. If something that looks like gay people being married becomes legal, then the defintion of marriage would have to be altered, or a new word would have to be invented. Any ideas on what that word might look like?