pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] geeky stuff

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] geeky stuff
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 19:11:15 +0100

Chad Knepp wrote:
Interesting /. post about Django, a python web application platform
similar to Ruby on Rails as some of you may be familiar with. I'm
kind of looking at it now. One of its features is an Object
Relational mapper... anyway, we are definitely NOT doing anything
different platform wise pre 1.0.

My initial take is better than Zope, but I'm still trying see why I
need it. I've been looking at the ORM parts of it and I'm not really
very impressed yet.
Oh, it's <http://djangoproject.com/> if your interested.

Yep, I saw it too. These sort of frameworks add two separate benefits:

Code base for some common tasks, like
1) security, handling logins etc
2) code to check user input to overcome attacks like
SQL injection.
for many of these there is a good case for not re-inventing the wheel.

Makes it easier to do some more complex things "out of the box"
for instance if we wanted to add blogs, forums or a slashdot style news
there may well be facilities for these.

I've not examined Django much, so don't really know what it offers.