pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] question on 0.3.0

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] question on 0.3.0
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:35:45 -0500

Bear Kaufmann writes:
> Yeah, I know what you mean.
> Maybe it would be appropriate to has an edit this entry link. Much of
> this extra code could be hidden away, until someone wants to actually
> edit it.

Ok but how do you know what part of the data the user wants to edit.
Right now it's possible to add/edit/delete and attach comments to
almost every part of the dataset. For things like common names and
uses how do you display these options... also how do you display that
there are attached comments. I don't think they should be displayed
by default, but it would be nice to indicate that someone has
commented on the addition of a particular common name... or whats the
point of being able to attach comments to them. Maybe expandable
collapsible widgets like fieldsets?

Also should I show authorship of data elements by default? Like who
entered which common name? Currently I've been following the
reference scheme of [A] where the 'A' is the first letter of the users
name and the link is to the users page (not implemented yet).
Obviously almost everything is [K] linking to Ken Fern.

Anyway, 0.3.0 is just going to show everything with every option and
from there maybe the right way to display stuff will present itself.
This will hopefully prepare y'all for the fact that 0.3.0 is going to
be UGLY.

> Perhaps edits are shown as a chronological history instead, with a
> different view?
> Thinking along the lines of how a wiki handles it.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Permaculture&action=history
> Not the only solution, but a possible one.
>
> Cheers,
> Bear

Wikipedia is a pretty different data model than ours so I'm not sure
this applies.