pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] More geeky (and graphy) stuff

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear Kaufmann <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] More geeky (and graphy) stuff
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:18:49 -0700

Hi all,

Congrats on the letter from Encarta to PFAF. It'd definitely increase visibility to a lot of users (and draw eyes from folk looking for the name of cabbage).

Last night I searched around, and played with some graphing engines, and producing dynamic XML from the database on the fly.
Here, I'm finding all the uses used by a plant Family, then graphing it out. You can start to see the connections/relatedness in terms of use.

Check out:
http://www.permaculture.info/test/graph/perfuse_dev.php

Proof of concept. Best proof? Hardly, but a start.

There are improvements I'd make on some of the settings for the physics of the graph, but I don't have access to that right now.
Still looking for the best system to use. A Flash/Actionscript app may play across more platforms, more smoothly, though the platform is non OS (if we wish to only use OS).
Java seems to have some compatibility issues (ie Firefox doesn't like the app on my system. :-P ). If anyone runs across Open Source graph viewers sent them my way.

There is also a free Hyperbolic graph viewer (someone sent a link to one a while ago). It works, and is pretty cool. I'm using a similar graph of family to uses with it, which is not the strong point of the viewer. It's probably best for (loosely or unlinked) tree graphs. A taxonomic tree for example. I won't upload it, since it's not quite useful yet.

Cheers,
Bear