pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] advertising, was: PIW Graphing the Symantic Web

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] advertising, was: PIW Graphing the Symantic Web
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 13:13:53 -0400

Chad Knepp wrote:

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:

> >>Buisness: Are listing free? Potentially could be some income in it but > >>might be problems with non commercial licence.
> >> > >>

> >Listings definitley not free. I would not support that.
> >Such listings would be de facto marketing/advertising for the involved > >business and would need to be paid for by them.
> >

> Cannot advertise and implement for-pay services while being hosted on > ibiblio
> But can solicit and receive grants and donations for services
> > Also, small/Mom&Pop seed operations (which predominate in the arena of > esoteric, rare, hard-to-find, organic, heirloom, non-gmo
> seed sources) will not be able to afford to pay to be listed as > seed/plant/nursery stock sources within the PIW database. The most they
> can be expected to do is proide the data we will need from them as > suppliers and keep that info up-to-date.

Right now there is nothing stopping a small seed company/nursery from
posting a comment that says they can buy this plant at their company.

Great!

With a custom xml-rpc client for the company they could do automatic
updates as their inventory changed, etc.

That would be wonderful and many of those companies (Johnny's, Cook's Garden, Nichols, etc) might
want to use this early on. I keep up with seed and plant sources as I use these in great diversity on my small
market farm operation. Maybe I could help further by contacting many of them about PIW and the role
and contribution they could make there plus benefits to them. I am on many of the NAFEX and MIDFEX
lists (from having set them up for them and contributing ongoing support) and will be able to locate
fruit/nut nursery stock and seed sources through these people; also to let them know about PIW (Lon
Rombaugh, main ramrod for these lists) will probably help out too.

> >I don't see why the non-commercial license would be an issue if the the > >supplier references were handled as a separate, non-free service. > > > >
> Still would not be able to do that while hosted on ibiblio - but can > receive donations.
> Cannot _advertise for-pay services for anything hosted on ibiblio_. This > is why they will not host any .com domains, only .info, .org and .net.

Speaking of which what about moving towards a paypal donation sort of
thing to keep the project moving post Threshold? Could we keep it
going through PCI?

This is a great idea; lets do it. I would imagine PCI could incorporate such donation into their project accounting.
Seems like this could be done now or very soon. Easy to link the PayPal resource to the PIC hosted PIW account.
What does it take to get a PayPal account set up - maybe Scott could send whoever does this the necessary account info.