pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] advertising, was: PIW Graphing the Symantic Web

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] advertising, was: PIW Graphing the Symantic Web
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:38:40 -0500

Lawrence F. London, Jr. writes:
> John Schinnerer wrote:
>
> >>There a few pricky questions.

> >>Buisness: Are listing free? Potentially could be some income in it but
> >>might be problems with non commercial licence.
> >>

> >Listings definitley not free. I would not support that.
> >Such listings would be de facto marketing/advertising for the involved
> >business and would need to be paid for by them.
> >

> Cannot advertise and implement for-pay services while being hosted on
> ibiblio
> But can solicit and receive grants and donations for services
>
> Also, small/Mom&Pop seed operations (which predominate in the arena of
> esoteric, rare, hard-to-find, organic, heirloom, non-gmo
> seed sources) will not be able to afford to pay to be listed as
> seed/plant/nursery stock sources within the PIW database. The most they
> can be expected to do is proide the data we will need from them as
> suppliers and keep that info up-to-date.

Right now there is nothing stopping a small seed company/nursery from
posting a comment that says they can buy this plant at their company.
With a custom xml-rpc client for the company they could do automatic
updates as their inventory changed, etc.

> >I don't see why the non-commercial license would be an issue if the the
> >supplier references were handled as a separate, non-free service.
> >

> Still would not be able to do that while hosted on ibiblio - but can
> receive donations.
> Cannot _advertise for-pay services for anything hosted on ibiblio_. This
> is why they will not host any .com domains, only .info, .org and .net.

Speaking of which what about moving towards a paypal donation sort of
thing to keep the project moving post Threshold? Could we keep it
going through PCI?