pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] PIW Graphing the Symantic Web

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] PIW Graphing the Symantic Web
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:57:31 +0000

Aloha,

No time to keep up with the technical aspects of all this...however...

There a few pricky questions.
Buisness: Are listing free? Potentially could be some income in it but might be problems with non commercial licence.

Listings definitley not free. I would not support that.
Such listings would be de facto marketing/advertising for the involved business and would need to be paid for by them.

I don't see why the non-commercial license would be an issue if the the supplier references were handled as a separate, non-free service. Something like you suggest:

One way round technical prob is with open source code. We could potentially provide modules which would provide a nice xml output for the data. A supplier could link this into their database.

...right, for a fee they could be a "sponsor link" such that all users were aware that the listed supplier(s) were paying to support PIW in return for a tailored service pointing to them as suppliers.

Another option would be to collect a percentage on referrals...lots of options. Could also avoid all these tangles by simply not touching this one...