pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] wiki security

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] wiki security
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 20:19:05 +0000

Aloha,

Cool. There see to be some deprecated pages there
TestingAmpQA
QA And Testing
is it posible to remove no longer needed pages?

Fine by me - I don't know where you're seeing those or how to remove them, myself.

All I know is that when I thought I was changing the name of the page, I got a blank new page instead and no idea where the "old" page (not to mention the content I'd spent time putting into it!) went.
Strange behavior in my opinion...not user-friendly.

There does seem to be some posible security features
http://www.permaculture.info/wiki/index.php?n=PmWiki.Passwords

The most relevant line at the moment would seem to be:

"At the very least, even an open wiki should have a site-wide "admin" password and a site-wide "attr" password set in config.php."

Who's our wiki admin?

What could be posible is the pages can be organised into groups
we could have one group, say Specifications, which could only be
modified by us, and another group Public which could be modified by
everyone.

Yes, I think the "working" pages that we are using should be protected.
Not sure why we'd need a wide-open section for 'Public' but fine by me as long as our working pages are protected.

Another security measure is to use the MailPosts feature
http://www.permaculture.info/wiki/index.php?n=PmWiki.MailPosts
this causes an email to be sent whenever a page has changed.

If this sends a mail on every separate [Save] of a page edit, it is way more mail than I want to get. My hacking about yesterday would have generated dozens of mails if that's how it works.

I think this would be a great feature:
1) it allows us to easily correct any vandalism. If someone mucks up a page then we will quickly see it, in an email, and be able to fix it quickly.

I'd rather prevent vandalism in the first place, at least for our working areas (spec, QA/Test, etc.). Nobody needs to be making changes there but us.

cheers,