pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] tools...and a little synthesizing[34][3.02.05]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] tools...and a little synthesizing[34][3.02.05]
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:28:32 -0800

so, tools.

we need them.

we need them for:
-technical spec
-team communication

Regarding the technical spec, glad we're having this discussion.
Definitely agree with Richard A. that a technical spec is our foremost
priority - and I tried to write one (at least, a project plan) but of
course it's somewhat difficult to write about technical details that I
don't completely understand.

components:
1. technical spec
2. someone to write it

For 1., we need a suitable tool. AFAIK, options include:
i. wiki (easy to use/manage/contribute to)
ii. CVS (apparently more complicated)
iii. something else?

So I suggest we go with i. unless someone has a better idea. However,
what is the final format of our speec? An .rtf doc? A wiki page? An
excel sheet? Should it be printable/interactive/otherwise? And, if
necessary, how/who will translate the spec from the creative format (i.e.
wiki) to the final (i.e. .rft doc)?

As for 2., I'd Love to say I'll do it but I honestly don't know enough.
Is someone going to volunteer? If not, I might pursue Johns's suggestion
of soliciting someone to help with our technical documentation needs.
Does anyone have ideas, would any of you like to assume this role, or
should I make a call out to the list(s)?

Yes, this technical spec is our first priority right now and I'm willing
to help do whatever it takes to get it done.

= =

Now, regarding communication tools.

Our need: to communicate effectively (please elaborate on what your
communication needs are as you see them).

Options include:
i. listserv
ii. wiki
iii. IM
iv. one-to-one phone calls
v. conference call
vi. discussion forums (i.e. ThinkCycle) - comparable to wiki?
vii. telepathy
viii. communication via the dreamworld
iv. other ideas?

Let's discuss our needs and how to satisfy them successfully.

= =

Thanks Chad for expressing yourself. And thanks Rich for rooting!

Chad, you said you wanted more checkins/progress updates - I ask for them
weekly and no one responds. I'm still intent on receiving updates from
team members every Sunday - how can I demand them without being rude? I
find myself in a strange situation. I want to be able to delegate
responsibility, ask for things to get done - essentially *manage* the
project - but I also recognize this is primarily a volunteer effort, so I
don't know how far I can go without being overbearing. Responses to this
appreciated.

Finally, discussions I'd like to introduce to the PIW list:
-market-farming/SARE discussion
-Rich's wikipedia/security model

Or should I wait?

That's it for now.

good night, morning, or afternoon
*Stephanie

p.s. hey Chad, if you want it to be recreational, we don't have to pay
you ;) haha