pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] miscellaneous items of interest

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] miscellaneous items of interest
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:33:24 -0800

John Schinnerer wrote:
Aloha,

The system would have two components available to the public:

1) for permaculture people + environmentalists, wildlife conservationists,
naturalists, farmers, homesteaders, homeowners, etc.

2) for market farmers, market gardeners, home gardeners, farmstead
gardeners, homestead gardeners, kitchen gardeners,
commercial growers

What's the diff between a "farmer" in 1) above and a "market farmer" in 2)

any farmer wanting to implement permaculture designs in systems on his
property

market farmer would utilize special features (none so far discussed or
included in
the overall software design infrastructure) offered by PIW to help him catalog
data about his farming systems, analyze it and produce information he can use
in
planning his cropping - all of this information could be coprocessed by the
permaculture
relationships database so as to produce cropping schemes that utilize guilds
and
other basic permaculture methods such as stacked functions, integrated
farming and land use systems
(i.e., topology, water features, drainage, habitat, companion plantings, etc
etc

Basically I am trying to come up with some ideas Stephanie can use to prepare
a SARE grant proposal
for PIW that would present our project as a valuable tool for market farmers.
This would involve PIW
offering commercial farm planning tools in addition to and integrated with a
plants or guilds database.
These extra features would put PIW in a class of unique web resources and
software tools that farmers
(and market gardeners and home gardeners) might not want to do without, ones
that extension agents,
permaculture designers and consultants and consultants other ag organizations
would widely promote
and urge their constituents to use.

What are your ideas and suggestions about this? Keep in mind that Stephanie
wants to ask for SARE funding
and needs to present PIW as a hands-on practical tool for market farmer,
something that will help them
make a financial success of their business and create an environmental jewel
of their land.

LL

above?
What has a "home gardener" got in common with a "commercial grower" that
they are in the same group but not together with "homeowners" and
"permaculture people" (whatever that means).
Groups 1) and 2) are IMO arbitrary, inconsistent and overlapping.

Either Permaculture is a meta-design system useful to *all* the above
folks (and more), or it is not.

If it is, then the core of what we're doing is useful to *all* the above
folks.
In that case, details of client/UI systems that will access the core
db/data engine in different ways for more specific applications belong in
phase 2 and later of the project (that is, when we actually have a DB and
engine to fantasize new applications for).

If it is not, and the needs of "market farmers" etc. cannot be met by PC
and in fact are not and *should not* be congruent with PC practices, then
we have two separate projects.

In other words, if PC is not useful to market farmers, then a database
that is useful to them is not a PC-centric database, and therefore it is a
separate project.

If PC *is* useful to market farmers, then part of what we are doing by
providing this DB is inviting them to notice that PC is applicable for
them.

Market Farming Forum