pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] miscellaneous items of interest

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] miscellaneous items of interest
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:19:53 -0800

hi yalls,

Cleaned out my inbox today and have a few miscellaneous thoughts/
questions:

1. A new version of Creative Commons is available at http://
creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/. Do we want to use it?

2. Considering that we are creating an online informational resource, we
should get in touch with online Permaculture classes. I know Dan
Hemenway teaches one – do any of you know of others? (Or should I post a
message about this on the Permaculture list at some point?)

3. I think I asked this before, but… We are currently using a modified
version of the PFAF dataset. Do we intend to keep this database as a
part of PIW, and embellish it with relationship-oriented data? Or, do we
intend to completely replace this dataset with relationship-oriented
data? Clearly, we’ll still have info on individual plants – but to what
extent will information be individual vs. relational?

4. Finally, so far we’ve been engaging the Permaculture community, but
I’d like to broaden our efforts to include market farmers practicing/
making the transition to sustainable agriculture – both for purposes of
grant eligibility (i.e. SARE) and for making PIW truly valuable in
promoting sustainable agriculture. As a part of this effort, I spoke
with Steve Diver today and we had an interesting conversation. He told
me that he doesn’t see PIW satisfying the needs of market farmers
practicing/attempting to transition to sustainable agriculture, at least
not those in this country – considering that they are crunched for time,
must make end meet, and have little leeway for experimenting with guilds.
However, many are aware of Natural Systems Agriculture being practiced at
the Land Institute. So, I have some questions for us:

‡ Is PIW (with its current vision) valuable to market farmers practicing
sustainable agriculture (similar questions to those I asked regarding the
Whole Systems Foundation)?

‡ If not, how can we make it useful (this might simply require a shift in
terminology – from “guild” to “intercropping”)? Or, is this
something
that doesn’t worry us, as we are not (necessarily) catering to market
farmers?

‡ And if so, how do we include them in the design process? Steve
suggested the possibility of user testing specifically for farmers, and I
think this is a great idea. Perhaps we could create a testing prototype,
put a call out to market farmers, and solicit feedback specifically from
them. Or Johns, would you rather keep testing general? I do think it
would be helpful for PIW and grant apps to have testing specifically for
farmers.

Also, this might be a good topic to introduce to the PIW list.

That’s it for now,
*Stephanie