pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] miscellaneous items of interest

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] miscellaneous items of interest
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:38:51 -0800

Ed Hynes wrote:

On Feb 25, 2005, at 6:15 PM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

I'd say Steve is probably right. The data we have got is good for some purposes, but not really well targeted towards the needs of commercial growers. I don't really know what their requirements are, but it is a good question to ask.

I'LL BE LOOKING INTO THIS NOW. STEVE AND LAWRENCE AGREE THAT IF WE WERE TO CATER TO MARKET FARMERS, OUR ENTIRE VISION WOULD HAVE TO BE RE-WORKED.

A two part system for PIW.

The market grower is one potential user of the system, but who is (are) the other(s)? I've been assuming home gardeners, but this mention of reworking our vision and splitting the system into two parts doesn't seem to support that. If it is the home gardener, wouldn't their information needs be a subset of the market growers? What kind of information does the home gardener need that would conflict with the information needs of the market grower?

Separate applications for accessing and using the data might well be needed, but hopefully the underlying data store would be the same.

The system would have two components available to the public:

1) for permaculture people + environmentalists, wildlife conservationists,
naturalists, farmers, homesteaders, homeowners, etc.

2) for market farmers, market gardeners, home gardeners, farmstead gardeners,
homestead gardeners, kitchen gardeners,
commercial growers

See my earlier posts in this list describing features that could be
incorporated into PIW to serve specific needs of serious
farmers and gardeners - all different from the features of a permaculture
relationships database

Talk about GIS gave me some of these ideas: using this technology to collect
and catalog local permaculture data
and using it to collect, store and process on-farm data, largely
crop-related, all integrated and co-processed with
data in the relationships database, 1).

<>
Listening to a Charlie Rose interview with Hunter Thompson....

Market Farming Forum