pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] miscellaneous items of interest

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] miscellaneous items of interest
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:15:38 -0800

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

> Or, do we

intend to completely replace this dataset with relationship-oriented data? Clearly, we’ll still have info on individual plants – but to what extent will information be individual vs. relational?

Yep wheres the data coming from? Hopefully Heidi will be able to contribute some.

HEIDE, PAULA, AND ANYONE ELSE! DATA WILL COME FROM USERS.

And gleaned from existing databases and datasets aand various info sources
like text file collections, wikis, etc.

I'd say Steve is probably right. The data we have got is good for some purposes, but not really well targeted towards the needs of commercial growers. I don't really know what their requirements are, but it is a good question to ask.

I'LL BE LOOKING INTO THIS NOW. STEVE AND LAWRENCE AGREE THAT IF WE WERE TO CATER TO MARKET FARMERS, OUR ENTIRE VISION WOULD HAVE TO BE RE-WORKED.

A two part system for PIW.

HMMM. I'LL CHECK THE INFORMATIONAL RESOURCES STEVE SUGGESTED AS BEING ESPECIALLY USEFUL TO MARKET FARMERS, TALK TO LOCAL EXTENSION AGENTS, AND SEE WHERE OUR INTENTIONS AND THEIR NEEDS INTERSECT. I KNOW PAULA IS COLLECTING GUILD-RELATED DATA *WITH* FARMERS, SO IT'S POSSIBLE. AND IF NOT (AT LEAST, NOT AT THIS POINT), THAT'S FINE TOO.
I'LL ALSO INTRODUCE THIS TOPIC TO PIW WHEN I RETURN FROM MY TRIP.

Amen.

Market Farming Forum