pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Re: [piw] Information I would like to see

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Re: [piw] Information I would like to see
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:51:02 -0800

Richard Morris wrote:

It does open up some interesting technical Q's, on how to merge two databases. I suspect this is the sort of thing we will have to deal with in the future, so now would be a great time to explore the problems of integrations.

Would it be possible for PIW to have/host multiple databases, each with
different structural needs
Maybe one for guilds might best be organized differently than one for plants,
same for terraforming, terramechanics,
agroecology, agricultural systems and growing methods, soil management - all
of which affects plant growth
and evolution or co-evolution within guilds and newly forming guilds. Using
the automechanics analogy
PIW could be the rotor in a distributor connecting spark with sparkplugs.
Perhaps a trivial suggestion but
still I was curious about the idea of integrating multiple databases and the
possibility that PIW itself
might be made up of multiple datasets of its own, accessed by one or more "front
ends". If each dataset was organized
for maximum access efficiency (and security) this would be a good thing
whereas if all the data was
lumped into one dataset would accessability problems and sacrifice of speed
result?

Market Farming Forum