pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Re: [piw] Information I would like to see

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: Permaculture Plant Database <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Re: [piw] Information I would like to see
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:03:59 -0800

Sean Maley wrote:

... spelling error, scraping. Basically, we do what
google does. We scan the web pages from other plant
database web sites and archive the information with
our own data. This gathers information quickly and
adds to the available information that this database
provides for our users. We may not have our own
information for a given species, but could still have
something to provide. A simple report would provide
all the available opportunities to add to the archive
from a permaculture perspective.

Could you provide more explanation of what this is about and how it happens?
Seems we have been talking about incorporating data from other databases
and other text-based and marked-up (for the Web) data in archives, i.e.
mailing list archives,
ftp archives, html-ized archives (mhonarc and hypermail) and you suggest
"scanning"
select web accress for such data. What does this "scanning" consist of? Would
this
produce an index of urls used to locate the various pieces of data
themselves? Or would this
actually gather and archive this data on our machine for access and
redistribution through PIW,
referencing the source and credit to its original location?

This sounds like a great idea.

Sorry for the scrappy attention to detail, it's been a
busy week. (MSRB has been having their fun this week)

MRSB?

Market Farming Forum