pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] EIE references

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Bear K <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: PCPLANTDB <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] EIE references
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:15:13 -0800

Title: Re: [pcplantdb] EIE references
>>> hello everyone,
>>>
>>> Apologies, but I've been super busy and still haven't gotten around to
>>> doing research on Ecosystem Information Engineering for you.  However,
>>> I still plan to.
>
> Speaking of biomimicry, think of creating in software an analogue of an
> ecosystem-level World Wide Web,
> with local wildlife Intranets interlinked  via bio-communications-protocols,
> to make up a greater Extranet linking all of them from "within" to "without",
> crossing climatic and geographic
> boundaries at will where possible.

Check out this article: http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/000950.html
Something with a Gnutella, a Peer to Peer resilient network (no central server), updated data would be amazing, and powerful in developing countries, and the like. That most likely implies a combined client/server _application_, unless it was the distributed servers which behaved that way. That's a lot of extra coding to implement though, hmm.

On the database side, Chad's description of how HG DB works sounds really cool. If the data objects do in fact have flexibility, it would be really cool to allow objects to have Inputs and Outputs, and be able to find matches from the outputs of one to the inputs of another. The taxonomy of the inputs/outputs might be a bit difficult, and it might well be feature creep, but it's something I've dreamt of doing for a while now. It would also imply the need to expand beyond plant objects (to animals, perhaps inanimate objects), unless it was to just help finding nutrient accumulators and users. It would be amazing though. Features for version >3.0.

Cheers,
Bear