pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] who are you?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] who are you?
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:59:47 +0000

Stephanie Gerson wrote:
hey yalls

Could I get some brief bios from all the people looking to be seriously involved (written into the grant) in the guild*builder project? And resumes as well if you deem them necessary.

Brief bio.
PhD Pure Maths/Information Technology
Liverpool University, 1990
Postdoctoral research work, 1990-2000
Liverpool & Leeds Universities
In fields of statistics, computer vision,
differential geometry and computer based
teaching material
Teaching in Adult Ed/Further Ed 1999-2001

Chair of Liverpool University Green Group 1988-1991
Became webmaster for Plants For A Future 1995 - Present
Developed web interface to Plants For A Future Database 1997
Trustee for Plants For A Future Charity - 1999 - Present
Full time voluntary worker/manager for Plants For A Future
2001 - Present
Organised

Skills: C, Java, Unix (sysadmin), HTML, SQL (mySQL and MS-Access),
Perl, C++, JavaScript, Object Oriented Design, 3D geometry,
several other special purpose languages and Systems.
Crisis Management! Accounts, Site management.

Also, if we are claiming that this web resource will help not only Permaculturists, then we need support from the rest of our constituents. Expanded target audience could include:

-university students
I hope to get some academic backing. Possibly AAAS

-garden clubs
-agricultural experiment stations
-low-income/hungry (we definitely need representation here)

How to round up support? any ideas/connections? Representation from non-
permies is essential if we are to portray this web resource not as simply a permaculture toy, but as a legitimate resource for any individual/
community seeking to satisfy basic needs in a sustainable way.

I've a good record of many many emails we been sent by wide
range of interested parties, I could trawl through these and request testonimials.

Similarly, we discussed being cross-linked to other web resources/
databases, such as PFAF. which ones? Are they willing to support us and link back to us? We must get in touch with them! I suggest we make a list of websites we would like to cross-link to, and then start contacting them to solicit support. (So that in our grant proposal, we can say something like "Richard Morris from PFAF is enthusiastic about the project, and has agreed to offer PFAF database access from the guild-
builder site...")

This will probably take a lot of work. I've quite a few good
contacts with webmasters of several sites, relatively old and not
always the major players.

I guess to approach these we would need a good "Project Proposal"
which we could send round to gather interest.

Because, as I've said before, this project is only as valuable as the support it receives from its user base.

Absolutely. Building use base is I think the top priority.

> We must situate this project
within the existing guild of permaculture and sustainability-oriented resources already avaialable, so that it may be a functioning and contributing component.

Time to check my contact list!

ttfn

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719