pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] who are you?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] who are you?
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 00:37:04 -0800

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

hey yalls

Could I get some brief bios from all the people looking to be seriously involved (written into the grant) in the guild*builder project? And resumes as well if you deem them necessary.

I'd like to contribute time and expertise in these areas:
webspace, website design and maintenance, wikis and weblogs, mailing lists;
I can provide all the above on free space and some in commercial space (my own
webspace for my various domains: I own permasphere.com and
permaculture-online.com - maybe we could get some mileage out of these;
I meant to mention this some time ago).
Credentials:
some web authoring experience, html coding, wikis and weblogs
started the permaculture mailing list in 1993 and have started and help
maintain a dozen more
I can get around OK in UNIX and Linux & know the Win 2000 platform pretty
well - well acquainted
with the best of currently available software to use when web authoring
manually (text editors),
building and maintaining collections of data in electronic format maintained
on local and remote sites
(have worked out some efficient methods for doing this in a Linux file system
via remote login.

Was landscape contractor for 16 years, now biointensive market farmer;
knowledgeable in design and construction of energy efficient,
durable dwellings and off the grid power systems; carpenter, woodworker,
welder, student machinist, metal fabricator

Knowledge of gardening, landscaping, farming and permaculture literature in
print and on the web.

Also, if we are claiming that this web resource will help not only Permaculturists, then we need support from the rest of our constituents. Expanded target audience could include:

-university students
-garden clubs

neighborhood organizations, community gardens, community wild gardens

trade and educational organizations that support agriculture in all its forms,

birders, aquaculturists, wildlife enthusiasts, pond builders, home gardeners
and landscapers

all landscape professional societies and organizations, arborists, nurserymen
and garden center operations, wildlife organizations (i.e., Ducks Unlimited
and more)

-agricultural experiment stations
-low-income/hungry (we definitely need representation here)

Urban and suburban folks and those in rural communities - they all need to
learn and practice permaculture on their land,
no matter how large or small their plot is
How to round up support? any ideas/connections? Representation from non-
permies is essential if we are to portray this web resource not as simply a permaculture toy, but as a legitimate resource for any individual/
community seeking to satisfy basic needs in a sustainable way.

Similarly, we discussed being cross-linked to other web resources/
databases, such as PFAF. which ones? Are they willing to support us and link back to us? We must get in touch with them! I suggest we make a list of websites we would like to cross-link to, and then start contacting them to solicit support. (So that in our grant proposal, we can say something like "Richard Morris from PFAF is enthusiastic about the project, and has agreed to offer PFAF database access from the guild-
builder site...")
Because, as I've said before, this project is only as valuable as the support it receives from its user base. We must situate this project within the existing guild of permaculture and sustainability-oriented resources already avaialable, so that it may be a functioning and contributing component.

yes?

yes!

Please respond with bios and thoughts...

Lovely.

hope you all had wonderful weekends

peace
*Stephanie