pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] who are you?

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] who are you?
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 22:12:31 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

> Could I get some brief bios from all the people looking to be seriously
> involved (written into the grant) in the guild*builder project? And
> resumes as well if you deem them necessary.

My resumes/CVs are on my site (eco-living.net) - tech under technology
services section (two, one general tech and one specifically for QA/testing);
whole systems/PC etc. is under design services section. I have a third for
outdoor rec teaching/leadership that isn't up there anywhere - if it's
relevant I can send it to you. All are slightly out of date, but not too far
behind reality.

As for "bio," what do you want specifically? What's relevant to the grant(s)
you're considering? How short is "brief?"

> Also, if we are claiming that this web resource will help not only
> Permaculturists, then we need support from the rest of our constituents.
> Expanded target audience could include:
>
> -university students
> -garden clubs
> -agricultural experiment stations
> -low-income/hungry (we definitely need representation here)
>
> How to round up support? any ideas/connections?

Contact any schools that have sust. ag., sust. dev., eco/environmental
programs, especially those known to have PC-based curricula somewhere (whether
they know it or not).

Contact known PC teachers/sites and hit them up for contacts. Same for any
design course students that can be contacted. Same for other PC lists or
related lists (I gather some folks here are on other related lists - SANET and
such...?)

Any community garden projects/organizations (such as Seattle Tilth and P-Patch
here in Seattle) are possibles.

Ag extension people (and lots of others, from landscapers to organic farmers,
might find it very useful even if they don't "get" or care about guilds, just
for the plant info.

> Representation from non-
> permies is essential if we are to portray this web resource not as simply
> a permaculture toy, but as a legitimate resource for any individual/
> community seeking to satisfy basic needs in a sustainable way.

I think this would be a PC tool, not a "toy." Real Goods sells toys;
Permaculture has methods, techniques, tools and technologies. Permaculture is
very much about satisfying basic needs in sustainable ways, so if it supports
PC it is a legitimate resource for that. Doesn't matter if the people doing
the work call it PC as long as they would find it useful.

> Similarly, we discussed being cross-linked to other web resources/
> databases, such as PFAF. which ones? Are they willing to support us and
> link back to us? We must get in touch with them! ...

A link is easy (if they are willing). What does "support" mean though - just
a link, or something more?

Cultural & Ecological Designing