ocba - Re: [ocba] Bee Removal

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "David Langham" <david_langham AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Bee Removal
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:57:49 -0400

Unfortunately, I will not be able to help. Otherwise, I would love to.

Here are some suggestions from my experiences:

If people are standing around watching, please let them know that the bees are going to be very upset and will be stinging. Therefore, it would be best if the on lookers were in a protected area (car, house or not directly in the area) You will want to be concentrating on the bees not the on-lookers as they get stung. I have yet to do this without stingers in my gloves and on occasion, on lookers have been stung.

Carefully remove the siding to reduce the stress on the bees. Line the area below the nest with plastic so that the honey lands on the plastic instead of the wood for easy cleanup once you are done. If possible, carefully cut the brood out BEFORE you cut any honey. Once you cut the honey, it gets real messy.

When you cut the brood, tie it into frames with lots of string to hold it in place or gently stack it in an empty hive body as best you can leaving room for the bees to walk on it. I use a bottom board/queen excluder/hive body/queen excluder (in that order) as I work. I use the top queen excluder as a lid until I have all of the comb in the new hive. In my mind, the queen excluders helps keep the queen in the new hive. In reality, this is probably not necessary as she will want to stay with the brood, but this is how I have done it in the past.

Be sure that in the new hive, the cells are facing up (like they are before you cut them) Keep your eye out for the queen. Once you have her in the new hive, the most important work is done and the bees will follow her.

Be sure that you have a bucket of water. Once you scrape all of the wax out, you will want to wash as much excess honey off of the boards as possible. Let it dry and then cover the entire work area with plastic so that it will not be rained on until the carpenter comes to fix it.

Leave the new hive alone until it is dark and then come back and get it.

Good luck and have fun.
David