nafex - Re: [nafex] how to keep squirrels of trees

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] how to keep squirrels of trees
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 18:14:23 -0600

On 11/26/2013 2:31 PM, Lee Reich wrote:
Sherwin,

What do you use for bait? I set many traps for squirrels -- and have used
field corn, apples, peanuts, or peanut butter -- and have poor results luring
them in. Squirrels here seem very wary. Same goes for rabbits.

Lee Reich, PhD
Come visit my farmden at http://leereich.blogspot.com/
http://leereich.com/

Lee,

I am really puzzled why people have trouble using peanut butter to attract squirrels. I have used it for years and it has
never failed me. Sometimes, a squirrel will manage to get the bait without setting off the trap. I try to avoid this by
setting the trigger on the trap to the hairy edge. It is possible that a squirrel may figure the peanut butter is a bait and
not return to get a fresh supply. Who knows, maybe there are certain brands of peanut butter that are more attractive.
I use a creamy Skippy brand that I spread on a piece of bread. It never fails me. Occasionally, ants will find the bait if
it stays too long in the trap, but that only happens when I am down to a few remaining squirrels who don't frequent
my yard often enough. Almost always, I find a squirrel in the trap or the bait is gone by some nimble dancer.

Sherwin