nafex - [nafex] backyard growers report VA

  • From: Jeffrey Boulier <boulierinasia@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] backyard growers report VA
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 11:25:25 -0700 (PDT)

I moved late last year into a new house, and then had a new seedling of my
own to take care of, so this is it as far as general interest goes:

Bananas, Dwarf Cavendish:

I tried to overwinter the biggest one in my unheated garage, but its corner
got a bit too cold. Lost the stalk, but the corm survived and sent up new
pups. The smaller ones I'd potted up and overwintered inside the house have
been growing fairly well. Much too small to fruit, but my wife has been
picking off leaves for cooking (there are a large variety of dishes that are
steamed/bbqed while wrapped in banana leaves). Deer ignore them.

Peppers:

This was the first year I tried overwintering a pepper in the house (one of
the Thai Upright varieties), and then planting it out in the spring. This has
worked out well, but the pepper did get awful  -- and repeated -- spider mite
infestations during the winter.

Watermelon "Thai Baby"

Absolute stand-out. This is bred to be picked very young and cooked. It's
been producing massive quantities for the last couple of weeks.

Chinese Hawthorn (Shan Zha/Crataegus pinnatifida)

Whoever warned me about their susceptibility to disease wasn't kidding. It
fruited -- or tried to -- and then promptly came down with at least two kinds
of rust, fireblight, and what remained was almost chewed to the ground by
Japanese beetles. It's still alive, but only barely.

Medlar (Nottingham, Dutch)

Just about murdered by the deer. Some Japanese beetle issues. No rust or
other diseases.

Stern's Medlar

Fruited for the first time, then the fruit got cedar-quince rust. Too bad, I
was hoping that it would be resistant. Japanese beetles ate a few leaves, but
liked the roses better.

Tomatoes

Too cold  and too wet for them this year. Then the deer found their way into
the back yard.

Pumpkin

So far, five big ones "for free" out of the compost heap. Never grown them
before; pleasantly surprised at the productivity given the lack of care.

--Jeff Boulier