nafex - Re: [nafex] backyard growers report IL

  • From: "Naomi Counides" <naomi@oznayim.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] backyard growers report IL
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 08:51:00 -0600

Here in Idaho we had a really evilly timed frost. Yes, I got wacked but the
commercial people depend on their crops for real. It is so bad that a local
fruit grower ran his truck down to California to his brother who grows
citrus to bring back a load to sell from his fruit stand. He was sold out
of oranges and grapefruit in a week.

And then it has been HOT! And dry. Well we irrigate so dry is not that much
of an issue, IF you are in a drainage with water.

So I had 3 trees of apricots.. go figure? One was a spit pit in the front
flower bed that had never fruited before. It was loaded. I had to thin.

I got raspberries. I have Canbys in the front flower bed along with
currants. I got those too. House is on a hill and front flower bed is part
of the slope. Faces west. That may have helped the fruit make it.

Peaches 6 maybe 3 more coming

Half bucket of pears, all on one branch near the driveway.

Grapes 9 bunches total on the first 4 vines. I do not even bother to take
them in. Just graze.

I think I have more plum trees than I have plums.

Tomatoes. Well the heat really stopped those from setting. Just getting
some now. Not at all impressed with Mountain Magic. Maybe it was the
season but the taste is not much waterlike almost.

Cucumbers. Oh I have been wanting cucumbers o badly since last year. Be
careful what you wish for, as the saying goes. I though I had 3 cages of
picklers and one of slicers... reverse that. I have been picking them very
small, less than an inch wide. They are delightful....but there sure are a
lot of them. I have been dehydrating some to use for spread (Benedictine)
in the winter. Where you all aware that on the Exodus the Israelites
complained to Moses that "they got cucumbers in Egypt". Cucumber and butter
on rye toast is a good breakfast.

Peppers look good.
Naomi