nafex - Re: [nafex] suggestions needed for bulletproof fruiting plants

  • From: Lee Reich <leeareich@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] suggestions needed for bulletproof fruiting plants
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:11:59 -0500

Morus nigra will not grow in Ohio. I've grown it in pots here in NY's Hudson
Valley and tasted it in Davis California. I consider it among the
best-tasting of all fruits, with a good acid/sugar balance and so much flavor
that each fruit seems like it should be the size of an orange.

My favorite persimmons are Szukis and Mohler. Both are reliable and bear
sweet, richly flavored fruits with little or no astringency.

Blueberries are my most reliable crop: my 30' by 30' planting has 16 bushes
and yields over 180 quarts from late June until early September. All that's
needed is to get the soil right and keep birds at bay. My bushes grow in a
walk-in netted cage.

Pears are also quite easy, as are most other berries (gooseberries, currants,
etc.)

Lee Reich, PhD
Come visit my farmden at http://leereich.blogspot.com/
http://leereich.com/