nafex - Re: [nafex] suggestions needed for bulletproof fruiting plants

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] suggestions needed for bulletproof fruiting plants
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:25:05 -0500

My "fall red raspberries" are by far my most reliable crop. i prune them once
in the winter, and spot prune for cane borer during the growing season. They
produce more fruit if I irrigate, but don't require that. I feed once in the
spring, and don't know if that's important or not. I've never had any disease
problems, send the berries rarely rot, even if I forget to pick to pick them.
They just dry up.

Most everything else I grow is eaten by critters, even if I net and fence.
--
Ginda

Typed with Swype. Who knows what I intended to say?

Michele Stanton <6ducks@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,

I am preparing a list for new fruit students, a list of 'bullet proof'
fruiting or perennial edible plants. I would like to hear of your
favorite
low-care fruits if you live in humid zones 5-7 east of the Rockies. But
more
specifically, which species and cultivars, including rootstocks, perform
well for you without too much care on your part? Perennial vegetables
are
fair game, too.

The ideal plant for my list would still give a decent yield of usable
fruit
with little pest management (except fencing for deer), minimal pruning,
be
happy with neutral pH soil, and perhaps no care except for irrigation
during
drought, etc.

I am assuming that with BMP these same plants might produce wonderful,
marketable fruit-but the question is, what would they do when treated
with
benign neglect?

Many thanks!

Michele in SW Ohio