nafex - Re: [nafex] suggestions needed for bulletproof fruiting plants

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] suggestions needed for bulletproof fruiting plants
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:49:43 -0500

Good point. I have wild blackberries that carry yellow rust, and thus have
trouble getting any crop from blackberries.

My blueberries are care-free, except that the chipmunks burrow under the
fence, and the birds rip holes in the netting, and I don't harvest many.

I used to get red currants with no effort, until the birds decided it was
worth risking the nearby cat to eat them... And then some mysterious disease
killed some of them (although yonkers van tet is still healthy.)

And so on...
--
Ginda

Typed with Swype. Who knows what I intended to say?

Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net> wrote:

On Nov 26, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Ginda Fisher wrote:

> My "fall red raspberries" are by far my most reliable crop. i prune
> them once in the winter, and spot prune for cane borer during the
> growing season. They produce more fruit if I irrigate, but don't
> require that. I feed once in the spring, and don't know if that's
> important or not. I've never had any disease problems, send the
> berries rarely rot, even if I forget to pick to pick them. They just
> dry up.

That's liable to depend on where you are. Even when I plant "disease-
resistant" cultivars, domestic raspberries always succumb to disease
for me: the area's full of wild blackcaps which are tolerant carriers.
Those aren't reliable croppers either, because if weather is dry they
produce tiny dry fruit that's all seeds.

I suspect that there isn't anything that's "bulletproof" wherever you
grow it; the list is going to be different in different locations.

message archives
Google message archive search:
nafex list mirror sites:
http://nafexlist.blogspot.com/