nafex - Re: [nafex] suggestions needed for bulletproof fruiting plants

  • From: "Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] suggestions needed for bulletproof fruiting plants
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:42:57 -0600

Proven performers here include
American persimmon - several varieties(NC-10, Geneva Long, Yates/Juhl, etc.)
& the Rosseyanka hybrid
Pears - Asian & European; Keiffer is atom-bomb-proof, even if some folks
denigrate it at barely edible. Tsu Li was a standout here this year,
Chojuro is dependable and a perennial favorite
Blueberries - I have Northern & Southern highbush types, but the Rabbiteyes
are far and away better/heavier producers here.
Blackberries - I love Kiowa, but it's hellaciously thorny.
Serviceberries/saskatoons - A.xgrandiflora and A.laevis are good here, as
are a couple of seedling A.alnifolias; cedar(juniper)-serviceberry rust can
be a problem some years. Except for the alnifolias, all of mine are
seedling selections - and the best alnifolias here were purchased as
inexpensive row-run seedlings of Timm & Success.
Edible crab varieties, Centennial & Kerr, are regular, heavy producers with
top quality fruits, minimal disease problems.

After scarfing some Aronia berries from a parking lot planting and making
vodka infusion with them, I'll probably be planting some A.melanocarpa this
spring.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY