nafex - Re: [nafex] suggestions needed for bulletproof fruiting plants

  • From: Robert Bruns <r.fred.bruns@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] suggestions needed for bulletproof fruiting plants
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 18:44:52 -0500

I agree about American persimmons and gooseberries. Both are
relatively trouble-free. With regard to persimmons, Morris Burton and
Yates are considered some of the best-tasting, as are many of the
Claypool varieties. I don't care much for Meader (pumpkin-like taste
and texture). Invicta and Poorman gooseberries have done well for me.
They are very sweet if you wait until they are dark red, nearly
purple.

Pawpaw has been disease-free. Rebecca's Gold is large and
Pennsylvania Golden is early; both have excellent taste.

Red or yellow raspberries have done well for me. In my opinion, the
best-tasting is Rosanna, with an intense raspberry taste. It usually
only bears in the summer, but sometimes has a fall crop if spring and
summer have been unusually warm, like this year. I also like Fall
Gold: very sweet with a milder taste. Raspberries do get moldy if the
weather is wet.

Collier mulberry hasn't done well for me. Other people here have had
success with Illinois Everbearing, but I haven't tried it.

I expect my conditions are fairly similar to those in SW Ohio.

Fred Bruns
Central Indiana
Zone 5b